Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Town Trip

Hi everyone, welcome back to my blog!

Today I will be telling you about the town trip with my hub. My group first walked to Victoria square then we then went to Margret Mahy and I will also be explaining about the waka. I will be talking about what I learnt and what I enjoyed the most. I hope you enjoy reading it.



Victoria Square

On the 20th of May 2021 me and the rest of my hub went on a town trip. My team and I started walking to Victoria square to look at all of the pou, my buddy was Chydale. Then my group had to look at one really tall pou and draw how it looks like on a piece of paper. 


Margaret Mahy Playground

Next we headed to Margret Mahy playground, we learned about all of the special markings on the park. When we had to find some stuff, me and Chydale found two of them. We also got a piece of paper and placed the paper on some cool carvings and coloured it with crayons.


Mats and Tuna

Then we went to our next rotation which was looking at the mats and finding out what they mean. We looked at about three different mats. Then we also went to feed the tuna. Which is Māori for eels.


Waka

Going on the waka was my last activity. We learnt what positions to place our paddle when the instructors called out a word. And we also learnt how to row the boat with the paddle.



My favourite part of the trip was waka because it was fun when we were rowing the boat and it was a little fun when I got splashed with water.


Something I learnt was that there are thirteen mats around the town. I also learned that even if there is an earthquake the mats will not break and if we need to move the mats we can lift it up and shift it to another area.


The thing I found the most interesting was when I actually looked at the markings around the park because I thought it was just to look cool but when I actually observed it I realised that there were some words from books that Margret Mahy and Elsie Lock wrote.


This trip has helped me with my PBL because I learnt more about my tūrangawaewae and New Zealand's culture.






4 comments:

  1. Hi Lucy,
    You have given lots of information about your the trip.I like what you wrote about when we were on the waka. how did you feel going on the waka? I felt really exited going on the waka. My favourite part is the waka. When I was on the waka I had to say HE HA HE HA.
    Good job Lucy and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hine,
    I felt really excited going on the waka. As you see waka was my last activity when I saw my friends go on the waka I felt more and more excited. When I went on it was really fun, even though I got splashed in the water. Have you ever been on a different waka before?
    - Lucy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lucy,

    You have done so much writing about your trip. Can you tell me what a Pou is?
    I did not know that the mats were able to withstand an earthquake or be moved. Thank you for telling me this information. I haven't been on the Waka, but it sounds like it is a lot of fun. How did it feel first hoping into the Waka? I would be scared of falling out into the Avon river and embarrassing myself. So good on you for getting in there and giving it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lucy,

    You sound like you really enjoyed this trip. The waka looked like so much fun. I wish that they teachers were able to go on them.

    I found the mat stories really interesting. It was great to see all of Tumu learning so much about our tūrangawaewae.

    Do you go to Margaret Mahy with your family?

    Mrs Bryce

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post.